top of page

Hello home seeker...

Here at Neighbourhood Properties, we are proud to be the area’s leading lettings and property management agency operating across the South Wales Valleys. Our aim is to find you the perfect place to live. We have a constant stream of properties available to rent, and we pride ourselves on our efficiency in matching Contract Holders with their new homes. We’re on hand to ensure we complete the setting up of a new Occupation Contract and your move-in process in a timely and compliant approach, providing a smooth experience to all parties. 



From timely property viewings, to digital signing processes, it's our aim to get you into your new home, fast. We'll hold your hand throughout to move your application through the formalities as quickly as possible.  


In order to ensure that all is well with your property, we conduct regular inspections to pick up on any repairs and maintenance  issues that may have arisen. We work with the landlord to rectify any findings before they escalate into a problem. 


If we fully manage your home, we are available 24/7 for any emergencies at your property such as floods, no gas or electric or if you're unable to gain access. Just call our office on 01685 375511, if it's out of hours, the call will divert to our out of hours team. 

Sam S

“I have been renting a house through Neighbourhood Properties for over 2 and a half years and I have always found the staff to be extremely helpful and professional. 


Any queries or issues are dealt with swiftly and I would highly recommend them to anyone” 

Alex F

"I have rented through Neighbourhood  Properties for 5 years and the staff are professional and very efficient as any repairs reported they make sure the contractors are there within a day, I have even had them there on the same day which I am very grateful for.


My own family do not live in the area and therefore this gives them peace of mind to know that both the landlord and staff make sure that I am safe and happy in my home."

Hannah D

“I'm grateful for the help that I got from Neighbourhood Properties when I suddenly found myself needing to find a new home for myself and my young daughter.
They found me a lovely house quickly and answered all my questions, which made me feel at ease during a stressful time”. 

Information for Contract Holders

Finding a Property

If you have seen us advertising a property that you are interested in, or you wish to let us know what your requirements are for a new property in our area, please get in touch - we’d be happy to help you find your new home.  Please be mindful that properties get snapped up quickly, so the speed is of the essence. To view the properties we currently have available, please call us or visit our To Let page 

Viewing a Property

We can conduct both virtual and in-person viewings, to suit you. On viewings, our experienced agent will meet you at the property to give you the grand tour, or we can set you up with an online viewing for your convenience. We can also carry out weekend/evening viewings if required. We you will find our team to be friendly and helpful, and available to answer any queries you may have.

Vetting and Referencing

To support your application, we will seek out references from employers, current or previous landlords, and a personal referee where necessary. If you are self-employed, a student or on housing benefit support, we will need to gain references from either a solicitor, accountant or guarantor. We use the services of an independent referencing company to obtain and evaluate your references.


We will also be required to conduct a credit reference report. For this, we work with an independent market-leading credit referencing company. This involves a ‘soft search’ which will highlight CCJs/IVAs or bankruptcies you may have had.


Our team are on hand to help and update you throughout this process.

Holding Deposit
(Per Occupation Contract Holder)

In order to reserve your chosen property, and take it off the market, a holding deposit will be required. This amounts to a maximum of one week's rent.


Please Note: This will be withheld if any relevant person (including any guarantor(s) withdraw from the tenancy application, fails a Right-to-Rent check, did not disclose important information later highlighted in the referencing process, or provided materially significant false or misleading information. It will also be withheld if for failure to sign their tenancy agreement (and / or Deed of Guarantee) within 15 calendar days (or other Deadline for Agreement as mutually agreed in writing).

Security Deposit

If your application is successful, a security deposit and one month's rent will be required at least 24 hours before move-in. Our nominated government-approved deposit scheme is DPS. This will safeguard your deposit in case of a dispute at the end of your Occupation Contract.


Your deposit will be treated in accordance with the Tenancy Deposit Protection regulations, and you will be provided with the appropriate prescribed information, certificate, and terms relating to the DPS’ scheme. It is held to cover damage, breakages, and any other liabilities under the terms of your Occupation Contact.. 

This amounts to a maximum of five weeks rent and covers damages or defaults on the part of the tenant during the Occupation Contract.


How is my deposit held? How will it be returned when my Occupation Contract ends?

Your deposit will be held with the Deposit Protection Service. At the end of your Occupation Contract, the deposit can be released as soon as the agreement is reached, in line with government regulations. For more information, please refer to your Occupation Contract or go to

Deposit Replacement Scheme

If the Landlord has agreed to accept a deposit replacement product, we will include this when marketing the property. The deposit replacement product we use is provided by Flairfair Limited. Instead of a deposit, you will pay a one-off check-in fee worth only one week’s rent (+VAT) which is non-re-payable at the end of your stay. This significantly lowers the upfront moving cost for Contract Holders. When it’s time to move out, you will only pay anything extra if there is a problem that you are responsible for. Checking out is fair and easy, with government-backed adjudicators on hand in case there is a charge dispute. There are no recurring charges if you decide to renew your Occupation Contract and stay in your home beyond the initial term.


Rents are always quoted per calendar and payable to our company bank account by standing order a month in advance. If you are renting a single let (a house, apartment, studio etc), you are usually responsible for the council tax, water rates, gas, electricity and telephone, WIFI costs unless told otherwise.

Lost Key(s) or Other Security Devices

Under the terms of your Occupation Contract, you are responsible for the safekeeping of the property’s security including the keys. Contract Holders are liable for the cost of replacing any lost key(s) or other security device(s). If the loss results in locks needing to be changed, the actual costs of a locksmith, new lock, and replacement keys for the Contract Holdert, landlord any other persons requiring keys will be charged to the Contract Holder. If extra costs are incurred there will be a charge of £15 per hour (inc. VAT) for the time taken replacing lost key(s) or other security device(s).

Early Termination
(At The Contract Holder’s Request)

Should you wish to exit your Occupation Contract early, it is at the landlord’s discretion whether they will accept this request. If they do, you will be responsible for the landlord’s re-let costs as well as all rent due under the Occupation Contract until the start date of the replacement Contract Holder. These costs will be no more than the maximum amount of rent outstanding on the Occupation Contract.

Please note that for your safety and peace of mind, We ensure the landlord has in place:

Rent Smart Wales

Rent Smart Wales assists those who let or manage rental properties in Wales to comply with their Housing (Wales) Act 2014 obligations and provides advice on renting out safe and healthy homes.  A landlord needs to be registered with Rent Smart Wales. If they don’t use an agent a landlord will need to be licensed. If a landlord has an agent manage the property, then they only need to be registered and link the managing agent to the property. This is compulsory. Every rental property in Wales must be registered with Rent Smart Wales.



Gas Safety Certificates

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 dictate that landlords have a duty to ensure all gas appliances, fittings and flues/chimneys are safe. It is imperative that all gas equipment is maintained by a Gas Safe (previously CORGI) registered engineer. Landlords must also ensure that an annual check is carried out on each appliance and flue. Following the check, a record should be provided to the existing tenant(s) within 28 days of completion. New tenant(s) must also be provided with a copy of the gas safety certificate on the start date of their Occupation Contract.

Landlords need to keep copies of gas safety certificates for a minimum of 2 years. However, we would advise these be kept hold of throughout the duration of owning the property.

Legally, landlords are not able to move a Contract Holder into a property without having an up-to-date gas certificate. You will be provided with the property’s gas safety certificate in your move-in pack. You will also be shown how to turn the gas on/off in case of a gas emergency, at the start of your Occupation Contract.


Electrical Certificates

In Wales, any record of electrical inspections should be provided to the Contract Holder upon move-in. On fully furnished properties, applicable appliances must be PAT tested as per the regulations.

EPC Certificates

From 1st October 2009, all landlords must provide an Energy Performance Certificate to people who want to rent a home from them. An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) gives you information about the energy efficiency of the home you want to rent. The Energy Performance Certificate is valid for 10 years. You will be provided with the property’s EPC in your move-in pack at the start of your Occupation Contract.


We conduct an inspection of the property halfway through your Occupation Contract and every six months thereafter. We do this to ensure that there are no problems with the property. It also allows us to identify any repairs or maintenance issues which we will relay to the landlord. We will also ensure that all safety requirements are satisfied at the property.


Approved Contractors

As a leading letting agent, we have measures in place to make sure we use high-quality contractors for any maintenance or repairs that may arise. Any contractors on our preferred panel are fully vetted and have provided us with the relevant documents such as industry certifications, and insurance where are appropriate.


  • What area do you cover?
    We cover a large area of South Wales. This predominantly, but not exclusively covers the Merthyr Tydfil Valley, Blaenau Gwent Valley and the Rhondda Cynon Taf Valley and surrounding areas. The main town we operate in include: Merthyr Tydfi Rhymney Aberdare Ebbw Vale Tredegar Abertillery Bargoed Pontypridd Porth Tonypandy Mountain Ash Ferndale If your town or village is not mentioned, don’t let that put you off - give us a call, it’s more likely that we’ll be able to help you.
  • Who deals with property maintenance?
    We have a designated property maintenance manager who handles all maintenance requests for rental properties under our full management package. In addition to this, we have a list of fully vetted contractors who are available to attend emergencies if needed. This is all tracked on our cloud-based software so we know exactly where it’s up to.
  • Do I need a license with rent smart wales?
    No, you only need to register with rent smart wales if you have appointed a lettings agent to act on your behalf.
  • Do you carry out references for each Contract Holder?
    Yes, we pride ourselves on the high level of Contract Holder referencing we carry out to ensure we find the best Contract Holder for you. We believe this is the reason that arrears across our portfolio are less than 0.5%.
  • Is there an option for a rent guarantee?
    Yes, we work closely with a company that offers this product. Please contact us to discuss your options.
  • What are your fees?
    Please call us, or submit a contact form so we can talk you through our fees, which we keep simple so you know exactly what you will get, and what it will cost. We pride ourselves on transparency, so you will not find any hidden costs. We’re run as a lean and independent business, that doesn’t have the bloated overheads of our high street chain competitors, so we’re confident that you will find our straight forward pricing structure the most cost effective in the area.
  • How often are the properties inspected?
    Each property will be inspected half way through the Occupation Contract and every 6 months thereafter, to ensure the tenancy is running smoothly, there are no breaches to the Occupation Contract, and any safety or maintenance issues are fixed.
  • If I’m on the Contract Holder find only or rent collect package, can I instruct you to carry out a check-in/out inventory, midterm inspection or Gas/Electrical/EPC certificate?"
    Yes, definitely, please get in touch to discuss your requirements - we’d be happy to help.
  • I have a friend looking for help with renting their property - can I refer them to you?
    Yes, of course. In order to say thanks, we run a referral scheme, so please tell them to let us know it was you who pointed them our way.
Get In Touch

We'd love to here from you, so please submit your details below, and we'll be in touch to discuss your situation and how we can help you.

Thanks, we've got your message and will get back to you ASAP.


Here at Neighbourhood Properties, we take our responsibilities very seriously. Here's some of our industry partners and memberships... 

bottom of page